MComix is a versatile comic guide reader that supports both traditional western comics and manga, in a variety of box formats, including CBR, CBZ, CB7, LHA and PDF. The application can be obtained for Linux and Windows.
Initially started as a Comix
shell (app for which development stopped within 2009), with the main purpose of including bug fixes and stability enhancements, MComix has evolved over the years, attaining new features and various enhancements, and becoming a solid comic audience.
- supports most common comic guide formats, including CBR, CBZ, CB7, CBT, LHA, as well as PDF, SCOOT, RAR, 7Z and LHA records;
- multiple views: double-page mode, fit image to home window width, height or both, guide zoom mode and manga setting (right-to-left comics), all available possibly in windowed or fullscreen setting;
- library which allows arranging and keeping track of your comics; gleam library watch feature which can check a folder and automatically tasks comics to your library;
- smart scrolling for easy reading through (use the space key to try this out);
- bookmark assistance;
- configurable slideshow;
- archive editor;
- various image tools, like an picture enhancer and options to turn or flip images;
- extensive list of configurable keyboard cutting corners;
- highly configurable interface: you can hide any available alexa plugin, choose what (if any) USER INTERFACE parts to show in fullscreen, replace the thumbnail size, background color, moving steps and much more;
- recalls last seen page when starting a partially read comic guide
- allows adding your own personal custom commands, in case you want to open up certain files in external apps or perform other actions (this is documented HERE );
- many other minor but useful functions like a magnifying lens which you can use in order to zoom in to a portion of amusing, etc .
It’s important to mention that while the application may open animated images, it won’t enjoy them and you’ll be looking at static pictures instead. There is an open bug
concerning this, with no answer from the programmer yet, so you can keep an eye on it issue is something you’re interested in.
The MComix deal from the official Ubuntu repositories was not updated in a while (Ubuntu fifteen. 10 provides MComix 1 . 00, while the latest version is one 2 . 1) and I couldn’t discover the latest version in any PPA, and so i decided to upload MComix 1 . second . 1 to the main WebUIpd8 PPA, for Ubuntu 14. 04, fifteen. 04 and 15. 10.
Since version 1 . 0. zero (version available in the Ubuntu fifteen. 10 – and older — repositories), Mcomix has received a number of improvements, including:
- keyboard shortcuts can now be edited in the MComix preference dialog
- huge code refactoring and cleanups;
- improved fullscreen dealing with;
- better 7z assistance;
- fixed support to get tar. xz and LHA records;
- fixed PDF assistance with newer versions of MuPDF;
- double page setting respects Exif rotation now.
A complete changelog can be found RIGHT HERE .
Install MComix in Ubuntu, Linux Mint and derivatives
MComix one 00 is available in the official Ubuntu repositories . To install it, use the subsequent command:
sudo apt-get install mcomix
If you want to use the latest version (1. 2 . 1 at the time I’m creating this article), you can install it within Ubuntu 15. 10, 15. apr or 14. 04, Linux Great 17. x and derivatives by including our main WebUpd8 PPA . Include the PPA and install MComix using the following commands:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa: nilarimogard/webupd8
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install mcomix
To down load the source or Windows binaries, view the MComix SourceForge downloads